Alarming News: I like Morgan Freeberg. A lot.
Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler: We were following a trackback and thinking "hmmm... this is a bloody excellent post!", and then we realized that it was just part III of, well, three...Damn. I wish I'd written those.
Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler: ...I just remembered that I found a new blog a short while ago, House of Eratosthenes, that I really like. I like his common sense approach and his curiosity when it comes to why people believe what they believe rather than just what they believe.
Brutally Honest: Morgan Freeberg is an intriguing guy...[he] asks great questions and answers others with style, flair, reason and wit. On the blogroll he goes. Make him a part of your regular blogospheric reading. I certainly will.
Brutally Honest: Morgan Freeberg is brilliant.
Common Sense Junction: Misha @ Anti-Idiotarian never ceases to amaze me. He keeps finding other good blogs. I went over to A.I. this morning for my daily Misha fix and he had found this guy named Morgan Freeberg in Fair Oaks, California, that has a blog, House of Eratosthenes. Freeberg says its "The Blog That Nobody Reads" but it may now become the blog that everybody reads.
Jaded Haven: Good God, Morgan, you cover a topic from front to back with a screwy thoroughness I find mind boggling. I'm in awe of your thought proccesses, my friend, you're an exceptional talent. You start by throwing in the kitchen sink, tie in someone's syphilitic uncle, bend around a rip tide of brilliance and bring it all home in a neat, diamond dripping package of an exceptionally readable moment of damn fine wordsmithing. I love reading you.
Mein Blogovault: Make "the Blog that No One Reads" one of your daily reads.
Philmon: When Morgan meanders, stick with him - he's got a point and it'll be worth it in the end. He's not a hit-and-run snarky quip kind of guy. The pieces all fall into place like tumblers in a lock and bang! He's opened a cognative door for you.
Rightlinx: Morgan at House of Eratosthenes is one of the best writers out there. I read him nearly every day because he manages to provide an interesting perspective, even though I don't always agree.
Poetic Justice: Cletus! Ah gots a laiv one fer yew...
This is not a list of things of which I disapprove. That would be a much longer list.
This is not a list of things with which I pick a disagreement. That would be a longer list, too.
This is a list of modern-day carcinogens. Tumors. Things that have a toxic effect. Things that will continue to degrade our culture, make it unhealthy…dysfunctional…by their existence, and by their proximity to other things. Some of them are not causes; they are symptoms, showing by their presence that something malignant is churning away madly under the surface, something that would go undetected otherwise. So that’s it. Causes; symptoms; the balance of what’s left, would be things that, in traditional parlance, are just-plain-uncalled-for.
Each and every single one — all fifty of ‘em — shows an occasion to get that scalpel out, make sure it’s sharp, and start scrubbing up. Something needs to be removed, and chucked in a scrapbucket, toot-sweet.
1. “Dukes of Hazzard” episodes, in which Daisy wears long pants
2. Family comedy movies in which the dad smacks himself in the forehead and realizes his wife is right about everything, or in which she scrunches up her face and gives him some sob story about how his son is disappointed in him for missing his soccer matches
3. Family comedy movies in which the dad smacks himself in the forehead and figures out he needs to buy his kids whatever they want
4. Family comedy movies in which the dad smacks himself in the forehead and figures out he shouldn’t demand excellence out of his kids — mediocrity is plenty good enough
5. Family comedy movies in which the dad smacks himself in the forehead and figures out he works way too much
6. Teevee commercials where the man is always using the wrong product and the woman is always using the right one
8. Droopy jeans that show off a boy’s or man’s butt crack
9. Men who wear football jerseys so big, they look like hand-me-downs
10. Liberal democrats who reserve a special anger for conservative women they’re too cowardly to direct toward conservative men
11. Liberal democrats who reserve a special anger for conservative blacks they’re too cowardly to direct toward conservative whites
12. Liberal democrats who reserve a special anger for conservative Jews they’re too cowardly to direct toward conservative gentiles
13. Liberal democrats who reserve a special anger for conservative gays they’re too cowardly to direct toward conservative heterosexuals
14. Liberal democrats who say you’re a “wuss” if you acknowledge that something provably deadly is, in fact, deadly
15. Any teevee show whose title contains the words “Real Housewives”
16. People who can’t go three sentences without using the word “basically.”
17. People who think Hooters is a strip bar
18. Innerwebs roll-over/popup ads
19. People who know perfectly well it’s wrong to do drugs & cut school; but because they did these things in childhood, they think they were “cool” and better people than whoever didn’t do those things
20. Any teevee program in which people sit around in a “relaxed” environment and talk…especially if they actually hold coffee mugs
21. Any teevee program in which, whenever something happens, the camera cuts away to people talking about how it makes them feel
22. People who argue with me on the innerwebs…who want me to think something, just because they think it, and they’re oh-so-really super-duper smart…and they can’t distinguish between “your” and “you’re”
22. Laws that are written badly, deliberately, to make it easier to sue people…especially labor laws
23. Hardened men who’ve spent entire lifetimes laughing at the law, who suddenly tremble in fear when “the union wants” something
24. Women who don’t work, who insist the thermostat be turned up higher in the winter than where they want it in the summer
25. Family Guy episodes in which the producers make fun of religious people
26. People who order fancy coffee drinks with whipped cream on top, but with “non fat milk” — especially when they bitch about finances
27. Anyone in a very large car with power steering who turns the steering wheel, while the car is standing still; this makes me wince
28. Girls who carry around rodent-sized dogs in purses or purse-like devices
29. Riding my bike for the better part of a hundred miles, to come home and find my outdoor fridge is unplugged and my beer is warm
30. Parade people
31. Youngsters who go to college, learn how to follow instructions, and figure out from that that they’ll make wonderful “leaders”
32. People who, for whatever reason, try to talk down Climategate.
34. The Humans Are Bastards teevee trope
35. Women informing their husbands that the house has a new pet dog; forget divorce, this is grounds for execution
36. Atheists who go to court to remove “In God We Trust” from our nation’s currency
37. Mothers who readily acknowledge their sons are spoiled and weak…and then go out of their way to spoil and enable them some more
38. Dads who won’t stand up to the mothers that are spoiling and enabling their sons
39. Movies in which the military is portrayed as a coterie of men who get a perverse sexual thrill out of war
40. Movies in which the military is represented by three- and four-star generals…with full heads of hair
41. People who want to buy and read a certain book because Oprah Winfrey puts it in her book club collection
42. People who think it’s somehow noble to not have any money
43. People who think it’s noble to not have any money, to the point they’ll forfeit whatever profit they’ve rightfully earned
44. People who think it’s noble to not have any money, to the point they’ll starve their own families to try to earn their salvation
45. People who think it’s noble to not have any money, to such an extent that if anyone rich says something, they automatically assume it’s wrong
47. Women with pierced/tattoo’d belly buttons…who show them off…in church
48. Male singers who hit notes higher than an octave above middle-C
49. Software that is re-worked so that in the next version, it is “easier” to use…but capable of doing fewer things
50. People who say Sarah Palin’s “unqualified” and can’t or won’t say exactly what happened to make them think so
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.